English at Comber Grove
English is at the heart of our curriculum at Comber Grove. Through the teaching of high-quality texts, our children learn to both express themselves and better understand the world around them.
We read high-quality texts to inspire and engage children in the writing process. These texts are from a variety of different genres and are diverse in their viewpoints and authorship, providing a model for our children to aspire to.
Children learn how to become confident and articulate writers across a range of text types through a carefully-sequenced learning journey where they are given numerous opportunities to:
- see and hear the writing process modelled by their teacher (“shared writing”)
- gather and learn new vocabulary
- practise and build up a bank of literary phrases for effect
- discuss their ideas before starting to write
- edit their own work both independently and in response to teacher feedback
Key to our children’s enthusiasm for writing is that teachers always make writing opportunities purposeful, with real audiences and reasons why the children need to express themselves.